You are not logged in.

#1 Sun, Oct 18th, 2015 4:52 pm

ultim8m

What I think about consumerism

Consumerism is an interesting topic.  I feel that there are essentials that we need to thrive in a complex environment, and then there is simply consumerism that is self indulgence.  I fear that many people have become selfish, fat, and lazy people simply because everything is so easily accessible, and they can indulge themselves at a somewhat low cost.  We've got ebay, Walmart, convenience stores, and plenty of other ways to get goods, but the question is, how much of this sh*t do we actually need to survive?  It's so driven by capitalism and profit models that the things we buy are simply bought for enjoyment or increasing our status symbol. People buy phones with higher display resolutions so they can see their movies more clearly while their fat *sses eat bon bons.

~ What makes a person an idiot is their lack of effort to not be one ~

#2 Tue, Oct 27th, 2015 9:42 pm

Freeform
Administrator

Re: What I think about consumerism

I deleted two responses to this thread because some people were swearing at each other.  Keep it civil!

Creative thinking inspires ideas. Ideas inspire change.

#3 Tue, Jan 12th, 2016 7:10 pm

Freeform
Administrator

Re: What I think about consumerism

I think you bring up an interesting point.  How much of it is in our control though, and how much is acquired behavior?  I mean if a mother and/or father is lazy, there's a good chance the child might turn out to be as well if they respect the parents, but if they DON'T respect their parents, it can be a catalyst for them to better their lives.  It's almost as if how we view others and what they do helps decide our own behavior.

Then there is indoctrination, which is to say that some people are born into an environment and taught from day 1 that being fat and lazy and being a consumer is the proper way of life.  This is harder (maybe near impossible) to unlearn because the brain builds neural pathways that reinforce this behavior. It's almost sci-fi.

Creative thinking inspires ideas. Ideas inspire change.

Board footer